This fall 2021 comes with several major OS releases: macOS Monterey (macOS 12), Windows 11, without forgetting Windows Server 2022. It is time for a quick sum-up of which 4D release – shipped or upcoming – supports which OS version!
We’re pleased to announce that 4D v19 R2 is now available!
Here’s an overview of what this feature release has in store for you:
- 4D for Android (our development platform for Android devices) is now final with 4D v19 R2.
- Speaking of mobile, new features for iOS and Android platforms are now available, allowing you to customize your app’s color, adapt it to dark or light mode, sort its local data, and more!
- 4D View Pro: Analyze data with pivot tables. Import and export CSV files. Manage your sheets by programming. Easily handle page breaks (for printing purposes) from the user interface.
- 4D Write Pro: More display options for inline and anchored pictures. We’ve also made it easier to format the images as background documents, sections, paragraphs, etc.
- More Object-Oriented programming features that will please your developers. Beyond the storage aspect, memory management and speed performance will be significantly enhanced with blob content for object attributes.
- Features that incorporate best practices such as defining a default .gitignore file and managing Byte Order Mark (BOM) and End of Line (EOL).
- Features that enhance your experience as a developer, such as getting access to the details of a class function from the code editor.
- Features that make the end-user experience smoother, such as automatic component signing on Mac.
- And if you’re a software publisher, you’ll be happy to know that we’ve added a feature that prevents the users of your application from seeing (and modifying) the contents of the 4DZ.
When generating .4dz files, 4D uses a standard zip format by default. If you are a software publisher, you’ll be happy to know that 4D v19 R2 added a feature that allows preventing users of your application from seeing the content of the 4DZ, and therefore from being able to modify it.
4D v19 R2 comes with a new version of SpreadJS and a Ribbon update that is compatible with it. Let’s discover the new features offered by this new version.
When printing, page break location is set by default, but you can adjust the print area by defining your own page breaks.
Starting with 4D v19 R2, to help your customers choose where they want to place their page breaks, 4D View Pro lets you add and remove page breaks manually, and also display the print preview lines.
Several predefined actions that help your app users manage their content were already available in the Action section: “Add,” “Edit,” “Delete,” and “Share”. 4D v19 R2 introduces a new one, and you’re going to like it! You can now create Sort actions to sort local app data.
In the latest versions of 4D, several improvements have been made to simplify the writing of code with classes:
- function and attribute suggestions according to type
- display of the prototype with a short description
With 4D v19 R2, you can open the online documentation of a function with a single action.
For some time, you’ve been able to create your own custom data formatters and convert strings, booleans, or integers to images in your generated app.
This new 4D v19 R2 feature will allow you to take full advantage of those formatters for iOS and Android, and make sure images look good in both light and dark appearances.
Let’s see how!
Sometimes, you need to display different tables of information in one document. For better visibility, it’s often necessary to display them in different sheets. In this case, you need to create, rename, hide or remove a sheet, or simply know which sheet the user is currently on.
With 4D v19 R2, you can manage the sheets in your 4D View Pro documents by programming.
With the introduction of classes in the 4D environment, the need to store your data in objects, and especially blobs, has increased. That’s why 4D v19 R2 lets you encapsulate blobs in objects.
Beyond the storage aspect, since the blob object is a reference type, your performance in terms of memory occupation and speed will be greatly improved.