We are pleased to announce that 4D for Android is available with 4D v19 R2.
Many features are already available, and with each new release, we’ll enrich the possibilities so that 4D for Android’s features match those of 4D for iOS.
What’s best is that the same mobile project can generate both native iOS and native Android apps. We made sure to provide very similar user experiences on both platforms while still respecting their standards.
how to extend your application and go mobile
The mobile project editor is fully integrated into 4D. You can design and build native iOS and Android apps quickly and easily without programming. If you want to go further, you can open the generated application with Android Studio or Xcode and customize it with Kotlin or Swift.
The other big advantage of a native application is that you can access the data even when you’re offline.
Beta testing for 4D v19 R2 is starting today! Here is what this feature release has in store for you:
- 4D for Android (our development platform for Android devices) is now final with 4D v19 R2.
- Speaking of mobile, new features for iOS and Android platforms are now available, allowing you to customize your app’s color, adapt it to dark or light mode, sort its local data, and more!
- 4D View Pro: Analyze data with pivot tables. Import and export CSV files. Manage your sheets by programming. Easily handle page breaks (for printing purposes) from the user interface.
- 4D Write Pro: More display options for inline and anchored pictures. We’ve also made it easier to format the images used as background of documents, sections, paragraphs, etc.
- Features that incorporate best practices such as defining a default .gitignore file and managing Byte Order Mark (BOM) and End of Line (EOL).
- Features to enhance either your experience as a developer, such as getting access to the details of a class function from the code editor, or your end-users’ experience, such as automatic component signing on Mac.
- And more (see below)!
We’re thrilled to announce that 4D v19 is now available. It’s a major release that takes building business applications to new heights.
Tap into the power of Apple Silicon and immediately experience a performance boost thanks to Apple M1’s remarkable capabilities. Discover 4D’s redesigned architecture with Project mode and how it paves the way for the future. Run on-the-go businesses with 4D for iOS and achieve much, much more with the new features for the 4D language, ORDA, 4D Write Pro, and 4D View Pro.
Although it is by no means exhaustive, here’s a list of features we’ve got in store for you:
On Mac, application signature has become a standard, and since Big Sur, you can’t even run unsigned applications. In the past, we published a workaround to build client-server applications running on a Windows server and accepting connections from Mac clients. With the release of 4D v19, we have updated the application building in 4D to handle this case. Here is how you can build a single platform or a cross-platform application in v19.
As app users, we don’t pay much attention to the sophisticated authentication technologies that secure our applications. But they are essential to help prevent malicious people from usurping our identity. That’s why the authentication process that is included in 4D for iOS is so important to us. But many 4D for iOS users have been asking for more, and specifically, for new modern ways to login.
The new SignInWithQRCode login form template lets users log into their apps by scanning QRCode, and grants access directly to already authenticated users.
Dark mode has been gaining a lot of ground recently. That’s why we’ve added support for it in 4D v19, and mentioned a few ways you can adjust it to your needs in the related announcement.
In this blog post, we’ll focus on CSS and explain in detail how to set CSS styles for light and dark modes using CSS media queries.
In continuous integration systems, every time code is submitted, or on an hourly basis, a compilation of the source code is automatically launched. This approach allows you to check merges on the code management server.
Starting from 4D v19, a new command allows you to launch code compilation, so you can set up this type of system.
We recently reviewed the formats of our logs to increase their readability and their compliance with automated analysis. We made these improvements in response to real-life situations we experienced, directly addressing issues that were hindering our ability to use 4D logs. In this blog post, we’ll explain in detail what changes we made so you can adjust your log analyzing tools accordingly.
As you may have noticed some time ago, 4D offers you a simple way to encrypt your data. Now, 4D also allows you to use the same algorithm as the one used for data encryption, but this time for your own needs. So now you can encrypt and decrypt any information you want, be it a single field in a table or external files.
Cookies’ abilities have grown and evolved over the years, but they have left some legacy issues. To handle this, browsers (including Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge) are changing their behavior regarding the SameSite and Secure attributes for a secure-by-default model for cookies.
To prevent your web session cookie from circulating on the web pointlessly or being misunderstood by browsers because of a default value applied, you should ask if it is:
- a third-party cookie: associated with a domain name different from that of the page where the cookie is encountered. A third-party cookie is placed by a page object (e.g. an ad) originating from a domain other than the one hosting the page
- a first-party cookie: associated with the domain of the page
Depending on your use case, you should choose the appropriate value for the SameSite attribute of your web session cookie.
To reinforce security, the Secure attribute must be set for the web session cookie when the connection is secured (HTTPS) to indicate to the browser that the cookie can be sent safely.
Keep reading to learn how 4D has your back to improve privacy and security across the web.
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy