Improved and simplified 4D commands just keep coming. Now you can set colors in your form objects using CSS strings instead of numeric values. Previously CSS colors for objects were declared with a 4-byte longint (e.g., 0x00RRGGBB). But if you feel more comfortable writing BLUE instead of its numeric equivalent 255 (0xFF), we’ve got good news … 4D v17 R6 makes it possible!
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v17 R6! Without further ado, let’s take a look and see what this R-release has in store for you:
- 4D for iOS apps are taken to new heights thanks to the ability to manage and edit your app content using parameters.
- Advanced programming capabilities at your disposal: from the ability to retrieve the current execution call chain, to a powerful new tool to analyze debug logs – just to name a few.
- Sophisticated search criteria and optimized coding with new ORDA advances.
- Style customization, the use of collections to read and write values and formulas, along with more control over your methods are the new functionalities added to the ever-growing list of 4D View Pro features.
- The beta tests for 4D Projects continue with 4D v17 R6, making it possible for you to take full advantage of a source control system.
4D v17 R5, one of the most feature-rich R-releases ever delivered, is now available!
Since we can’t list all of the nearly 30 features in a single blog post, here’s an overview of what this thrilling R-release has to offer:
- A built-in solution to encrypt your customer’s data at the table level! So easy to use and so transparent, that there’s no need to change your code.
- If you have an existing code or need to access external records via ODBC, reading 4D object fields is now possible.
- Set tasks with actions, and have your app content up-to-date in a snap with some of the new 4D for iOS features.
- With links to 4D methods, along with the simplification and flexibility of multiple commands, 4D Write Pro has taken things a step further.
- A powerful ribbon-based toolbar for 4D View Pro is available for quick access to different commands.
- ORDA has its share of features, including the possibility to write generic code and optimized performance in client/server mode.
- There’s no more need for special configuration if you need to run multiple clients connected to the same database on a single computer. Things have gotten a lot easier, just run the clients and it’ll work!
We’ve only scratched the surface of what this R-release has in store for you. See all blog posts for 4D v17 R5!
View settings are used to define how a document should be displayed. Until 4D v17 R5, these settings could only be modified using the contextual menu or standard actions. Now they can also be set and get within an object using new commands, as we explained in this blog post. But you can do even more, because these settings can be saved and re-applied afterward! You’ll definitely appreciate having your settings saved!
Prior to 4D v17 R5, you may have discovered upon opening your 4D Write Pro document that the displayed font is not what it is supposed to be! If the document contains fonts which are not on your computer, 4D automatically replaced them with Times New Roman. However, since font preference is a matter of individual choice, this R-release gives you the ability to choose the replacement fonts!
Without sugarcoating it, 4D v17 R5 is 64-bit only! It’s no secret that many features, such as preemptive processes, new cache manager, 4D View Pro, and more are already only available in 64-bit. The bright side is that focusing on 64-bit systems makes it possible for us to incorporate more modern technologies and feature sets, as well as update many libraries. This change also brings new opportunities and in this blog post we’ll focus on the updated libraries and the positive impact on your 4D applications.
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v17 R5.
4D v17 R5 is one of the most feature-rich R-releases ever delivered, and we couldn’t be happier to share all the advances we’ve added to the ever-growing list of 4D features:
- New built-in data encryption for your 4D databases is available, adding another level of security that is completely transparent, safe, and fast.
- Actions, incremental data synchronization, and N to one relations are now available for 4D for iOS.
- The SQL engine has been updated to allow reading 4D objects.
- More email features: Logging SMTP conversations, custom mail headers, and legacy charset support are ready and waiting for you.
- Additional advances in the 4D language and ORDA for better readability, efficient code maintenance, and optimized performance.
- In addition to commands being extended or renamed, you can also invoke a method from your 4D application, thanks to the power of 4D Write Pro.
- A powerful new ribbon-style toolbar to enhance the 4D View Pro user interface is at your disposal.
- And much more (see below).
We’re pleased to announce that 4D v17 R4 is now available!
Here’s an overview of what this R-release has in store for you:
- Take full advantage of your multi-core computers with: preemptive processes on the client, and Begin SQL/ End SQL command that is now preemptive-compliant.
- Exporting your documents in .docx format and graphically managing vertical margins thanks to a vertical ruler are just a part of the new 4D Write Pro features.
- Make use of restricted queries, multi-criteria search, and the ability to create custom data formatters in your 4D for iOS application.
- Discover the new way of sending emails in 4D. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the simplicity and power.
- Explore the additional commands we’re shipping to programmatically handle your 4D View Pro documents.
All of this and more awaits you!
Things have been really exciting for us here at 4D, but also in our community. Especially with 4Dv17 and its R-releases containing many groundbreaking features such as ORDA, 4D for iOS, 4D Write Pro, 4D View Pro, dynamic forms, and much more. Now there’s even more good news … we’re hitting the road to share all of these great advances with you in person! We’re hosting events where you can meet the 4D team face to face and gain in-depth knowledge about 4D technologies: 50+ countries and 44 cities around to introduce you to the latest 4D innovations!
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy