We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v18 R3! So what advances do this feature-release have to offer?
- We strive to evolve the 4D language for a seamless and intuitive coding experience. For this, the 4D language has taken a giant leap with the introduction of Classes.
- Never be at a loss when trying to determine which operation causes a server to be slow. A new command is at your disposal to help you detect operations exceeding a specified duration.
- ORDA also has its shares of features, for example, two new member methods. The first allows you to extract data from an entity selection, and the second enables you to immediately get refreshed data from the server.
- More than 40+ standard actions have been added to the 4D write Pro interface, extending development possibilities even further.
- As for 4D for iOS, 40+ ready-to-use templates are now at your disposal (accessible from the project editor.) A single click is all it takes to install the template of your choice.
- And much more (see below).
We’re pleased to announce that 4D v18 R2 is now available!
Here’s a sneak peek of what’s in store for you:
- The Form Editor‘s UX has been greatly enhanced to instantly let you know when views are used and provide many actions to simplify form design (add view, delete a view, select all objects in the view, etc.). The cherry on top? A redesigned layout and flat icons for a fresh overall look.
- Full control over your work area is available to prevent an application’s interface from being covered by the macOS dock/menu or the Windows taskbar. And a list box builder is up and running to simplify your life when building entity selection list boxes.
- 4D Write Pro ships with additional features, for example, managing formulas inside your documents and the ability to delete pictures in a snap.
- What about your 4D View Pro documents? There’s now a whole set of commands to help you add and remove rows and columns, as well as define their size, visibility, and header labels.
- Plus, the first part of a feature to receive emails is accessible, allowing you to locally download emails and remove them from your email server.
And more awaits you.
In a previous blog post, we showed you how to get started with the 4D REST server. We walked you through different CRUD operations using Postman and pointed you to the full REST documentation. In this blog post, We’ll explain how sessions work in 4D. This understanding will ensure that you’ll be able to build a session-based authentication system using the 4D REST server.
4D provides a powerful REST server, that enables direct access to data stored in your 4D databases. This makes it possible, for example, to build an API to use with a modern front end technology (e.g., Angular, React, etc). In this blog post, we’ll provide a first introduction to the 4D robust REST server. You’ll see how to configure it as well as test the create, retrieve, update, and delete (CRUD) operations using the API testing tool, Postman.
In a previous blog post, we introduced you to Git (a version control system) and Github (a cloud-based hosting service) and how you can share your 4D code with other developers. In this blog post, we’ll go a bit further by exploring some scenarios a developer may encounter, such as cloning a remote repository, ignoring already committed files, and solving merge conflicts.
You may notice that beginning with 4D v18, the naming convention and intervals of our product releases have been changed. It’s for good reasons. Here’s everything you need to know about these changes:
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v18 R2! So what new features does this R-release have to offer?
- As part of the ongoing development for project databases, the Form Editor‘s UX has been greatly enhanced to instantly let you know if views are used. Plus, many additional actions have been added to simplify form design.
- You asked for a way to prevent an application’s interface from being obscured by the macOS dock/menu or the Windows taskbar, and 4D delivers! Now, you have control of your work area.
- For the first part of feature to receive emails, a new command and several methods are at your disposal to locally download emails and remove them from your email server.
- 4D Write Pro? Managing formulas inside your documents and the ability to delete pictures in a snap are the order of the day.
- What about your 4D View Pro documents? There’s now a whole set of commands to help you… from adding and removing rows and columns, to defining their size, visibility, and header labels.
Our most spectacular major release yet is now available! 4D v18 is bursting with advanced functionalities, upgrades, and enhancements.
This cutting-edge release opens a lot of possibilities for your 4D-based applications. Though by no means exhaustive, here’s a list of features we’ve got in store for you:
- Project database for version control: A solution for collaborative programming, enabling you to store your code in plain text files within a source control system (e.g., Github, Perforce, etc.).
- Encryption: Built-in data encryption tools on a per-table basis. Whether via the UI or programming, your application’s protection is at its finest.
- 4D for iOS: A product fully integrated into 4D to easily extend your business applications to mobile.
- ORDA: Optimized performance, extra commands, and remote datastore.
- The 4D language: Staying compatible with the classic language, the 4D language is making great strides towards becoming object-oriented with member methods to access files (or folders, zip archives, or emails), the ability to build your own member functions and use the new formula object, enhanced debugging features, etc.
- 4D Write Pro: Style sheets, a feature-rich toolbar, more table-related features, and the list goes on.
- 4D View Pro: A powerful ribbon toolbar, .xlsx import/export, more commands to handle your documents by programming, and much more.
This list is far from exhaustive, see all the blog posts for 4D v18!
4D summit 2020 is just around the corner, and honestly, we couldn’t be more excited!
2019 has been a successful year for us here at 4D and it’s all thanks to our partners, customers, and community! Last year we made a Happy New Year video, this year we’re keeping it simple … all of us at 4D wish all of you a very Happy New Year! We’re looking forward to another great year in 2020!
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy