To stay competitive in the software industry, one should always seek innovation and build momentum for change.
In that spirit, 4D has always given you the right technology to grow and expand. Project mode is one example that comes with a tremendous benefit: the ability to use Git to get your 4D application up and running in a more productive development environment.
So we decided to create a 4D Awesome list, where we gather all the collective wisdom in one place to make 4D developers’ life a little easier.
If you’re a Git/GitHub user and have a fantastic project that you believe could help fellow developers, you might want to contribute to the 4D Awesome list, where awesome projects live!
This blog post explains the concept of an Awesome list and how you can contribute.
So by now, you know that projects come with a tremendous benefit: the ability to use Git (the revision control system) and GitHub (the hosting service) to get your 4D application up and running in a more productive development environment.
Newbie or full-fledged senior developer version control has been a staple in every work environment where multiple resources collaborate to participate in what could be called a software chain of production.
To help you get familiar with Git, we’ve made available many resources at your disposal. This blog post is a compilation of everything we’ve provided on this topic… so far. If you feel lost and don’t know where to start, keep reading; we’ve included:
- other blog posts,
- a detailed guide,
- a top-rated summit video,
- and even a training course.
We’re thrilled to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v19 R5. You told us where you are going next, and this release —like the one before and the ones to come — has the features to help you get there 🙌
- Besides introducing data contexts, 4D benefits from an upgraded SpreadJS version that brings many enhancements, such as the print interface. 4D View Pro is taking it to a whole new level.
- 4D Write Pro has its share of new features: table headers, linked paragraphs, data contexts, and many improvements to the interface widgets — offering you even more possibilities to produce documents that meet your requirements.
- We’re offering you better control over the ORDA contexts and cache for both Client/Server and REST to improve performance.
- We completely reorganized the diagnostic logs, giving you a better-filtered content (log levels such as trace, debug, info, warn, and error).
- And you can now get rid of unnecessary libraries (e.g., CEF/Web Area, PHP) to reduce the size of your applications.
- Much more awaits you!
We’re thrilled to announce that 4D v19 R4 is now available! A feature-rich release that goes all out ✨
Besides the monthly Hot Fixes, here’s an overview of what this feature release has in store for you:
- Upon your request, we introduced support of high-resolution displays, such as 4K displays, in Windows, which results in sharper text, highly detailed photos, and ultimately a more defined user interface for business applications.
- Another highly requested feature is now available: the possibility to launch an external process asynchronously to enhance your users’ experience.
- As for the 4D language, we couldn’t be more excited to share the many improvements we made available to elevate your coding experience. From jump statements and short-circuit evaluation to ternary operators and compound assignment operators.
4D offers several great avenues for keeping your business application secured. One of these avenues is to secure the data itself using 4D’s built-in encryption. To help you understand how encryption works under the hood, we are pleased to announce the release of the 4D Encryption Guide.
As our VP of Strategy, Thomas Maul said:
“Encryption is worth taking a few moments to understand how it works. And not only how to use it.”
And we couldn’t agree more because if we don’t understand it correctly, we’ll never use it to its fullest potential.
Whether you are:
- trying to gain a business advantage over your competitors
- dealing (you or your customers) with sensitive data or proprietary information, such as in the financial, healthcare, or legal industries
- just curious about the technology behind this feature
We highly recommend looking into the encryption solution offered by 4D.
So far, 2021 has been really exciting for us here at 4D.
This year’s milestones include the release of 4D v19, one of our best LTS yet, the launch of 4D v19 R2 beta, as well as webinars in multiple languages to introduce you to the latest and the greatest, and the list goes on. Now there’s even more exciting news: The 4D World Tour Live 2021 is just around the corner!
Beta testing for 4D v19 R2 is starting today! Here is what this feature release has in store for you:
- 4D for Android (our development platform for Android devices) is now final with 4D v19 R2.
- Speaking of mobile, new features for iOS and Android platforms are now available, allowing you to customize your app’s color, adapt it to dark or light mode, sort its local data, and more!
- 4D View Pro: Analyze data with pivot tables. Import and export CSV files. Manage your sheets by programming. Easily handle page breaks (for printing purposes) from the user interface.
- 4D Write Pro: More display options for inline and anchored pictures. We’ve also made it easier to format the images used as background of documents, sections, paragraphs, etc.
- Features that incorporate best practices such as defining a default .gitignore file and managing Byte Order Mark (BOM) and End of Line (EOL).
- Features to enhance either your experience as a developer, such as getting access to the details of a class function from the code editor, or your end-users’ experience, such as automatic component signing on Mac.
- And more (see below)!
We’re thrilled to announce that 4D v19 is now available. It’s a major release that takes building business applications to new heights.
Tap into the power of Apple Silicon and immediately experience a performance boost thanks to Apple M1’s remarkable capabilities. Discover 4D’s redesigned architecture with Project mode and how it paves the way for the future. Run on-the-go businesses with 4D for iOS and achieve much, much more with the new features for the 4D language, ORDA, 4D Write Pro, and 4D View Pro.
Although it is by no means exhaustive, here’s a list of features we’ve got in store for you:
Beta testing for 4D v19, one of the best LTS yet, is starting today, six months earlier than planned, to provide you with a Silicon native version of 4D!
This includes more than +80 advances, including the introduction of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in 4D thanks to Project mode, major enhancements to existing products, and highly requested features you voted for.
Buckle up, and let’s discover some of what 4D v19 Beta has to offer:
- Apple Silicon support: be ready to give your 4D application a boost right away thanks to Apple M1’s remarkable performance and the brand new 4D compiler.
- ORDA: write business-oriented code to hide complexity, reduce errors, and speed up the development process.
- 4D for iOS: be productive anywhere with our mobile solution. Check inventory in the warehouse, generate invoices during client visits, perform inspections onsite, and more.
- OOP: thanks to Project mode, take advantage of object-oriented programming concepts for greater productivity, better code quality, and lesser maintenance costs.
- 4D language: discover how the versatile tools of the 4D language improve your developer experience.
- 4D Write Pro: Word documents import, PDF export, enhanced UI, more commands to manage your documents with code, and plenty of features to produce beautiful documents in record time.
- 4D View Pro: localized UI. More than +20 new commands to programmatically handle your documents and more.
- And much more (see below).