View settings are used to define how a document should be displayed. Until 4D v17 R5, these settings could only be modified using the contextual menu or standard actions. Now they can also be set and get within an object using new commands, as we explained in this blog post. But you can do even more, because these settings can be saved and re-applied afterward! You’ll definitely appreciate having your settings saved!
Prior to 4D v17 R5, you may have discovered upon opening your 4D Write Pro document that the displayed font is not what it is supposed to be! If the document contains fonts which are not on your computer, 4D automatically replaced them with Times New Roman. However, since font preference is a matter of individual choice, this R-release gives you the ability to choose the replacement fonts!
Without sugarcoating it, 4D v17 R5 is 64-bit only! It’s no secret that many features, such as preemptive processes, new cache manager, 4D View Pro, and more are already only available in 64-bit. The bright side is that focusing on 64-bit systems makes it possible for us to incorporate more modern technologies and feature sets, as well as update many libraries. This change also brings new opportunities and in this blog post we’ll focus on the updated libraries and the positive impact on your 4D applications.
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v17 R5.
4D v17 R5 is one of the most feature-rich R-releases ever delivered, and we couldn’t be happier to share all the advances we’ve added to the ever-growing list of 4D features:
- New built-in data encryption for your 4D databases is available, adding another level of security that is completely transparent, safe, and fast.
- Actions, incremental data synchronization, and N to one relations are now available for 4D for iOS.
- The SQL engine has been updated to allow reading 4D objects.
- More email features: Logging SMTP conversations, custom mail headers, and legacy charset support are ready and waiting for you.
- Additional advances in the 4D language and ORDA for better readability, efficient code maintenance, and optimized performance.
- In addition to commands being extended or renamed, you can also invoke a method from your 4D application, thanks to the power of 4D Write Pro.
- A powerful new ribbon-style toolbar to enhance the 4D View Pro user interface is at your disposal.
- And much more (see below).
We’re pleased to announce that 4D v17 R4 is now available!
Here’s an overview of what this R-release has in store for you:
- Take full advantage of your multi-core computers with: preemptive processes on the client, and Begin SQL/ End SQL command that is now preemptive-compliant.
- Exporting your documents in .docx format and graphically managing vertical margins thanks to a vertical ruler are just a part of the new 4D Write Pro features.
- Make use of restricted queries, multi-criteria search, and the ability to create custom data formatters in your 4D for iOS application.
- Discover the new way of sending emails in 4D. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the simplicity and power.
- Explore the additional commands we’re shipping to programmatically handle your 4D View Pro documents.
All of this and more awaits you!
Things have been really exciting for us here at 4D, but also in our community. Especially with 4Dv17 and its R-releases containing many groundbreaking features such as ORDA, 4D for iOS, 4D Write Pro, 4D View Pro, dynamic forms, and much more. Now there’s even more good news … we’re hitting the road to share all of these great advances with you in person! We’re hosting events where you can meet the 4D team face to face and gain in-depth knowledge about 4D technologies: 50+ countries and 44 cities around to introduce you to the latest 4D innovations!
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v17 R4! This release is loaded with enhancements and new features that you won’t want to miss!
- Your processes can be run preemptively on 4D Remote which means taking full advantage of the power of multi-core computers.
- Exporting your documents in .docx format and a new vertical ruler to manage margins are just a sneak peek of the new 4D Write Pro features.
- Restricted queries, support of multi-criteria searches, and the possibility to create a custom data formatter are what 4D for iOS has to offer with this R-release.
- A new way to send emails is at your disposal. Easy and more powerful than the former way using 4D Internet Commands.
- Your formulas are more readable and easily accessible with 4D View Pro’s automatic completion thanks to named ranges and formulas.
- And much more (see below).
4D v17 R3 is now available!
To whet your appetite, here’s an overview of what this R-release has to offer:
- Create your own object methods and move one step closer towards classes in the 4D language.
- More 4D for iOS features for a customized mobile application with data formatters, personalized templates, and the ability to add your own icons.
- The ability to export the .4DB file into multiple text files as a first step towards full source control support – coming in a future release.
- 4D Write Pro is getting more feature-rich with new commands and attributes to create complex and beautiful documents.
- Import and export Microsoft Excel documents (.xlsx format) with 4D View Pro.
All of this and more awaits you!
It’s that time of the year where we take a look back at ten of our most-read posts. What a year it’s been! From ORDA to help you write code in an object-oriented mode, to 4D for iOS to extend your existing business applications to mobile devices, and much more. 2018 was filled with huge product announcements and a plethora of exciting features! Let’s take a look at the topics that grabbed your attention in 2018:
At the stroke of midnight, we wave goodbye to 2018 and head into an exciting and productive 2019. Here’s a video of the 4D teams wishing you all a very happy new year … from all over the world, in several different languages.
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy