We’re thrilled to announce that 4D v19 R4 is now available! A feature-rich release that goes all out ✨
Besides the monthly Hot Fixes, here’s an overview of what this feature release has in store for you:
- Upon your request, we introduced support of high-resolution displays, such as 4K displays, in Windows, which results in sharper text, highly detailed photos, and ultimately a more defined user interface for business applications.
- Another highly requested feature is now available: the possibility to launch an external process asynchronously to enhance your users’ experience.
- As for the 4D language, we couldn’t be more excited to share the many improvements we made available to elevate your coding experience. From jump statements and short-circuit evaluation to ternary operators and compound assignment operators.
4D offers several great avenues for keeping your business application secured. One of these avenues is to secure the data itself using 4D’s built-in encryption. To help you understand how encryption works under the hood, we are pleased to announce the release of the 4D Encryption Guide.
As our VP of Strategy, Thomas Maul said:
“Encryption is worth taking a few moments to understand how it works. And not only how to use it.”
And we couldn’t agree more because if we don’t understand it correctly, we’ll never use it to its fullest potential.
Whether you are:
- trying to gain a business advantage over your competitors
- dealing (you or your customers) with sensitive data or proprietary information, such as in the financial, healthcare, or legal industries
- just curious about the technology behind this feature
We highly recommend looking into the encryption solution offered by 4D.
So far, 2021 has been really exciting for us here at 4D.
This year’s milestones include the release of 4D v19, one of our best LTS yet, the launch of 4D v19 R2 beta, as well as webinars in multiple languages to introduce you to the latest and the greatest, and the list goes on. Now there’s even more exciting news: The 4D World Tour Live 2021 is just around the corner!
Beta testing for 4D v19 R2 is starting today! Here is what this feature release has in store for you:
- 4D for Android (our development platform for Android devices) is now final with 4D v19 R2.
- Speaking of mobile, new features for iOS and Android platforms are now available, allowing you to customize your app’s color, adapt it to dark or light mode, sort its local data, and more!
- 4D View Pro: Analyze data with pivot tables. Import and export CSV files. Manage your sheets by programming. Easily handle page breaks (for printing purposes) from the user interface.
- 4D Write Pro: More display options for inline and anchored pictures. We’ve also made it easier to format the images used as background of documents, sections, paragraphs, etc.
- Features that incorporate best practices such as defining a default .gitignore file and managing Byte Order Mark (BOM) and End of Line (EOL).
- Features to enhance either your experience as a developer, such as getting access to the details of a class function from the code editor, or your end-users’ experience, such as automatic component signing on Mac.
- And more (see below)!
We’re thrilled to announce that 4D v19 is now available. It’s a major release that takes building business applications to new heights.
Tap into the power of Apple Silicon and immediately experience a performance boost thanks to Apple M1’s remarkable capabilities. Discover 4D’s redesigned architecture with Project mode and how it paves the way for the future. Run on-the-go businesses with 4D for iOS and achieve much, much more with the new features for the 4D language, ORDA, 4D Write Pro, and 4D View Pro.
Although it is by no means exhaustive, here’s a list of features we’ve got in store for you:
Beta testing for 4D v19, one of the best LTS yet, is starting today, six months earlier than planned, to provide you with a Silicon native version of 4D!
This includes more than +80 advances, including the introduction of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in 4D thanks to Project mode, major enhancements to existing products, and highly requested features you voted for.
Buckle up, and let’s discover some of what 4D v19 Beta has to offer:
- Apple Silicon support: be ready to give your 4D application a boost right away thanks to Apple M1’s remarkable performance and the brand new 4D compiler.
- ORDA: write business-oriented code to hide complexity, reduce errors, and speed up the development process.
- 4D for iOS: be productive anywhere with our mobile solution. Check inventory in the warehouse, generate invoices during client visits, perform inspections onsite, and more.
- OOP: thanks to Project mode, take advantage of object-oriented programming concepts for greater productivity, better code quality, and lesser maintenance costs.
- 4D language: discover how the versatile tools of the 4D language improve your developer experience.
- 4D Write Pro: Word documents import, PDF export, enhanced UI, more commands to manage your documents with code, and plenty of features to produce beautiful documents in record time.
- 4D View Pro: localized UI. More than +20 new commands to programmatically handle your documents and more.
- And much more (see below).
We’re pleased to announce that the 4D v18 R6 is now available!
Here’s an overview of what this feature release has in store for you:
For over 36 years, our main goal has been to enhance our product while ensuring the compatibility of your 4D applications. This, of course, brings change, and change can be frustrating. With this in mind, we always aim to minimize the impact on your businesses with timely announcements, and most importantly, an improved alternative to the deprecated or removed functionality to ensure a smooth transition.
In this blog post, we’ll go through the 4D strategy behind the decision to release versions that are not fully developed, which is summarized in the “release early, release often” paradigm.
Are you new to 4D for iOS? New to our no-code native app builder that allows you to extend your existing 4D business applications to mobile devices? Or maybe you just need a jumpstart to see how far the product allows you to go?
If this is the case, check out what 4D for iOS can do thanks to its feature set, and watch this video to witness the building of a mobile app in less than two minutes: