We’re thrilled to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v19 R5. You told us where you are going next, and this release —like the one before and the ones to come — has the features to help you get there ?
- Besides introducing data contexts, 4D benefits from an upgraded SpreadJS version that brings many enhancements, such as the print interface. 4D View Pro is taking it to a whole new level.
- 4D Write Pro has its share of new features: table headers, linked paragraphs, data contexts, and many improvements to the interface widgets — offering you even more possibilities to produce documents that meet your requirements.
- We’re offering you better control over the ORDA contexts and cache for both Client/Server and REST to improve performance.
- We completely reorganized the diagnostic logs, giving you a better-filtered content (log levels such as trace, debug, info, warn, and error).
- And you can now get rid of unnecessary libraries (e.g., CEF/Web Area, PHP) to reduce the size of your applications.
- Much more awaits you!
4D View Pro
SpreadJS v15 brings tremendous power to 4D View Pro, such as better printing capabilities and high-speed sorting, filtering, and other data management functions.
As stated above, this is one of the improvements brought by SpreadJS v15. The Ribbon now has a new addition; it supports print settings with a “Page layout” tab and a “Page setup” dialog. This dialog includes tabs for the Page, Margins, Header/Footer, and Sheet, allowing users to manage many options in the VP SET PRINT INFO command.
Using a Data context is a great way to load your data and build your templates. It enables you to create your document with placeholders and fill them by setting this data context. Now available with 4D View Pro!
4D Write Pro
Another helpful table display option for your Write Pro documents. Starting with 4D v19 R5, you can define headers in tables and automatically repeat them after a column or page break.
To have better control over a document’s layout, 4D v19 R5 is shipped with the possibility to choose if a paragraph and the one that follows must be kept together (not separated by an automatic page or column break).
Defining a data context for a 4D Write Pro document allows sharing data using the This keyword, which will open the world of ORDA and object-oriented development to 4D Write Pro documents.
Improvements to Interface widgets
4D v19 R5 brings a set of features to the interface widgets for more readable and aesthetic documents. For instance, a menu to insert formulas in both interfaces and several attributes of paragraphs for better respect of typography rules —to name a few.
ALLOW COMPONENTS TO PUBLISH CLASSES
Suppose your application is still running in binary mode. In that case, this feature will enable you to benefit from classes and object-oriented development by using a component (in project mode) to create your own classes and use them from your (binary-mode based) application.
A Seamless Way to Manage Parameters
With 4D v19 R5, developers don’t have to handle complex parameter checks (count parameters, value types) when calling a function and passing parameters.
Easily pass parameters used for a function or method call to another function/method with the new command, Copy parameters. This results in a lighter, more elegant, and easier-to-read code.
4D v19 R5 gives you better control over the ORDA contexts and cache for both Client/Server and REST to improve performance.
FORM AND SUBFORM COMMUNICATION
Starting with 4D v19 R5, associating a variable with a subform has enriched the possibilities of interfaces and communication between forms and subforms. The means of communication are now simplified by two new commands: OBJECT Get subform container value and OBJECT SET SUBFORM CONTAINER VALUE.
DIRECTORY FILE MANAGEMENT IN MERGED SERVER PROJECTS
On the server-side, the current user is always the Designer, and therefore access to runtime explorer is always allowed. If you prefer to change this behavior, 4D v19 R5 enables you to restrict administrators from accessing Data Explorer and Runtime Explorer in your deployed merged servers.
REDUCE THE SIZE OF CLIENT APPLICATIONS & MORE
4D v19 R5 brings many enhancements to 4D application building. For starters, you can remove unnecessary libraries (such as CEF/Web Area, PHP, Mecab, 4D Updater) to reduce the size of your applications. We also changed the final directory when you build a compiled structure to accommodate those using multiple compiled versions of the same structure. And for our Japanese customers, we have merged the Japanese version of 4D and the international one on macOS.
Diagnostic logs have become more and more critical for troubleshooting. We’ve reorganized them entirely by improving their content and adding a way to filter content (log levels such as trace, debug, info, warn, and error).
4D for Mobile
4D v19 R5 brings many novelties. Starting with the 4D for Android and 4D for iOS Editor:
- The interface of the editor is fully compatible in dark and light modes.
For 4D for Android (already available in 4D for iOS):
- Turn your application into a barcode scanner to fill in a text input area,
- Allow signing directly in the application: delivery, intervention report, estimate, etc.
- Interact with different applications by touching a field on the screen:
- an address to automatically display a map showing the location,
- a phone number to call or add to user contact,
- a mail to open the mail app,
- a URL to open an URL in the default web browser.
- Create your own Kotlin formatters for your specific needs.
Starting with 4D v19 R5, if you use the system rendering engine, 4D uses Microsoft Edge WebView2. This change allows you to benefit from a modern browser with the latest features and security updates. For example, Microsoft Edge can be used to display PDFs.
Need more technical details? Take a look at the 4D v19 R5 Beta documentation on the 4D Doc Center.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us improve our product quality and better serve your needs. We’d love to hear your thoughts about any of the features above. Contribute to our “beta” forum (accessible for all 4D Partners). And don’t hesitate to tell us about your needs; we take votes very seriously!
Not a partner yet? Become a 4D Partner and join the conversation!