When you create a new field in your database, 4D allows you to choose to map NULL value to blank values or not. Starting from 4D v19 R4, in new projects, 4D will no longer by default map the NULL value to an empty value.
4D v19 R4 is shipped with a new ORDA concept: Aliases. They are the logical and complementary continuation of computed attributes.
This blog post explains what aliases are and highlights their advantages, especially when to use one or the other… or both.
Classes were introduced with 4D v18 R3. They allow you to organize your business logic and separate it from the UI part more quickly.
Classes are composed of several functions of varying lengths, so it’s not always easy to find the function you want to modify, or to move from one function to another. You can use the explorer, which displays classes and functions, but when you’re coding in the editor window, you don’t want to waste time changing windows.
With 4D v19 R4, the list of functions in your class is displayed in the code editor toolbar, allowing you to easily jump to a specific function.
As a publisher, you sometimes want to duplicate a merged client application to connect each of them to their dedicated 4D Server. Let’s see how to do this.
At 4D, we take customer requests very seriously!
In previous meetings, customers showed great interest in supporting high-resolution displays, such as 4K displays, in Windows. Your wish has been fulfilled as we have added support for High DPI in 4D.
We are pleased to announce that a new version of 4D is available with new features for 4D for iOS and 4D for Android. Without further ado, let’s dive in:
WHAT’S IN IT?
For 4D for Android and 4D for iOS
- Display object fields in your mobile application in human-readable format or in JSON format. Object fields are used to store various types of data in a 4D application, and now they are easily usable in mobile apps.
- Improvement to generate your embedded data set.
For 4D for Android (already available in 4D for iOS):
- All related data is managed in your application.
- Online actions are available. It’s possible to execute code on a 4D server to check data, execute calculations or add an entity.
Yet another release, but not just any other release 🙌
We’re thrilled to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v19 R4, which incorporates many features you requested, plus features we believe will be delightful to use!
Without further ado, let’s take a look and see what it has in store for you:
- Upon your request, we supported high-resolution displays, such as 4K displays, in Windows. This results in better text and image quality.
- Another highly requested feature is at your disposal, the possibility to launch an external process asynchronously to enhance your users’ experience.
- What about pessimistic lock management via REST? YES, we have that too.
- As for the 4D language, we couldn’t be more excited to share the many improvements we made available with you to elevate your coding experience.
- 4D Write Pro is embracing the dark (mode)! And enabling you to add page breaks inside table rows.
- Speed up your development process with 4D View Pro “templates.”
- The code editor has its share of features. For example, comment tags, quick access to different class functions, and syntax error checking.
- And much more (see below)!