We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v18 R2! So what new features does this R-release have to offer?
- As part of the ongoing development for project databases, the Form Editor‘s UX has been greatly enhanced to instantly let you know if views are used. Plus, many additional actions have been added to simplify form design.
- You asked for a way to prevent an application’s interface from being obscured by the macOS dock/menu or the Windows taskbar, and 4D delivers! Now, you have control of your work area.
- For the first part of feature to receive emails, a new command and several methods are at your disposal to locally download emails and remove them from your email server.
- 4D Write Pro? Managing formulas inside your documents and the ability to delete pictures in a snap are the order of the day.
- What about your 4D View Pro documents? There’s now a whole set of commands to help you… from adding and removing rows and columns, to defining their size, visibility, and header labels.
Enhanced form editor
The Form Editor enables you to build complex forms by distributing objects into different views which can then be hidden or shown as needed. In 4D v18 R2 beta, the user experience has been greatly enhanced… by instantly letting you know if views are used (thanks to an icon with two different states), and by providing many actions to simplify form design (add view, delete a view, select all objects in the view, etc.). The cherry on the top? A redesigned layout and flat icons for a fresh overall look.
Programming related features
Take control over your work area
One of the great things about 4D v18 R2 beta is that now you can take graphic system elements such as the macOS dock or the Windows taskbar into account so you can use the entire available work area. This way you can be sure that your application’s windows are in a viewable area (especially in SDI mode on Windows).
Store User aliases in the journal
4D v18 R2 extends the behavior of the SET USER ALIAS command by letting you to know who did what. More precisely… now when the alias is set, it’ll also be stored in the journal. This way you can retrieve the correct user, even if several users share the same computer and/or system account.
Receive emails with POP3
4D v18 R2 beta provides the ability to locally download your emails and remove them from your email server with a specific set of commands and methods. This is the first part of a feature to receive emails that will be finalized in the coming R-releases.
4D Write Pro
Manage formulas inside documents
4D v18 R2 beta includes a set of commands so you can manage formulas inside your documents: WP Get formulas, WP Insert formula, WP Compute formulas, and WP Freeze formulas.
Deleting inline or anchored pictures can now be done in a snap! Say hello to the new command, WP DELETE PICTURE.
4D View Pro
Manage rows and columns
More features have been added to the ever-growing list of 4D View Pro capabilities… and 4D v18 R2 beta is no exception! This R-release includes new commands so you can add and remove columns or rows, as well as define their size, visibility, and header labels.
Lock rows and/or columns
If you have a large table of data, it can be useful to keep an area of a worksheet visible while you scroll to another area. That’s why 4D v18 R2 Beta is shipped with a new command: VP SET FROZEN PANES to help you create panes.
Need more technical details? Take a look at the 4D v18 R2 Beta documentation in the 4D Doc Center.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us improve our product quality and better serve your needs. We’d love to hear your thoughts about any of the features above. Contribute to our “beta version” forum (accessible for all 4D Partners).
Not a partner yet? Become a 4D Partner and join the conversation!