Although 4D Summit 2020 had to be canceled, it would be a shame to waste all of the content and demonstrations from multiple speakers. This year, 4D Summit has gone digital … FREE and accessible for the entire 4D Community! All you need is an internet connection and a browser to discover new product announcements in technical keynotes and explore 40+ breakout sessions. There’s even a special session by Laurent Ribardière – President and Founder at 4D SAS, in which he gives an exclusive peek into the future of 4D.
Sharing the source code of 4D components lets you customize them and make them your own! With project databases and the ability to share an application’s source code via a source control system, we’ve converted our 4D internal components into project databases and pushed the source code to the 4D GitHub account. It’s open to everyone, all you need to take advantage of it is an account on Github. Why did we do this? To make your life easier by keeping track of changes and modifications to both code and forms.
You may notice that beginning with 4D v18, the naming convention and intervals of our product releases have been changed. It’s for good reasons. Here’s everything you need to know about these changes:
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v18 R2! So what new features does this R-release have to offer?
- As part of the ongoing development for project databases, the Form Editor‘s UX has been greatly enhanced to instantly let you know if views are used. Plus, many additional actions have been added to simplify form design.
- You asked for a way to prevent an application’s interface from being obscured by the macOS dock/menu or the Windows taskbar, and 4D delivers! Now, you have control of your work area.
- For the first part of feature to receive emails, a new command and several methods are at your disposal to locally download emails and remove them from your email server.
- 4D Write Pro? Managing formulas inside your documents and the ability to delete pictures in a snap are the order of the day.
- What about your 4D View Pro documents? There’s now a whole set of commands to help you… from adding and removing rows and columns, to defining their size, visibility, and header labels.
Our most spectacular major release yet is now available! 4D v18 is bursting with advanced functionalities, upgrades, and enhancements.
This cutting-edge release opens a lot of possibilities for your 4D-based applications. Though by no means exhaustive, here’s a list of features we’ve got in store for you:
- Project database for version control: A solution for collaborative programming, enabling you to store your code in plain text files within a source control system (e.g., Github, Perforce, etc.).
- Encryption: Built-in data encryption tools on a per-table basis. Whether via the UI or programming, your application’s protection is at its finest.
- 4D for iOS: A product fully integrated into 4D to easily extend your business applications to mobile.
- ORDA: Optimized performance, extra commands, and remote datastore.
- The 4D language: Staying compatible with the classic language, the 4D language is making great strides towards becoming object-oriented with member methods to access files (or folders, zip archives, or emails), the ability to build your own member functions and use the new formula object, enhanced debugging features, etc.
- 4D Write Pro: Style sheets, a feature-rich toolbar, more table-related features, and the list goes on.
- 4D View Pro: A powerful ribbon toolbar, .xlsx import/export, more commands to handle your documents by programming, and much more.
This list is far from exhaustive, see all the blog posts for 4D v18!
2019 has been a successful year for us here at 4D and it’s all thanks to our partners, customers, and community! Last year we made a Happy New Year video, this year we’re keeping it simple … all of us at 4D wish all of you a very Happy New Year! We’re looking forward to another great year in 2020!
As another year and another decade come to an end, it’s time to take a look back with 10 of our most-read posts. From project databases to encryption, to performance optimization, to advanced ORDA and programming capabilities … 2019 had it all! Here are the topics that grabbed your attention in 2019.
Beta testing for 4D v18, our most spectacular release yet, is starting today! And we couldn’t be more thrilled to share all the novelties we’ve prepared for you. More than +90 advances, including major enhancements to existing features, as well as new ones that were designed to ease your development journey and take your applications to new heights. And in case you want to have an overall idea on this release full potential, we’ve put together this extensive library of examples (HDIs).
Buckle up and let’s discover some of what 4D v18 Beta has to offer:
- Project database – Version control: a solution for collaborative programming. Enabling you to store your code in a source control system (e.g., Github, Perforce, etc.) in plain text files.
- Built-in encryption: protection at its finest with built-in data encryption on a per-table basis.
- 4D for iOS: a product fully integrated into 4D to extend your business applications to mobile with ease.
- ORDA: enhanced commands, enhanced performance … and then there is remote datastore.
- 4D language: extra 4D commands to enlarge your programming capabilities.
- 4D Write Pro: Style Sheets. Tables. Toolbar. Word Export. And much more.
- 4D View Pro: Ribbon Toolbar. Excel import/export. And the list goes on.
- And much more (see below).
4D v17 R6, the latest R-release of one of 4D’s most groundbreaking major releases, is now available!
Here’s a sneak peek of what this R-release has to offer:
- Increased interactivity with your 4D for iOS apps thanks to the ability to create, edit and delete your app content using parameters.
- Advanced debugging capabilities at your disposal, such as the ability to retrieve the current execution call chain and a powerful new tool to analyze debug logs.
- Even more ORDA methods to build more sophisticated search criteria and optimize your coding.
- New functionalities have been added to the ever-growing list of 4D View Pro features: from customizing styles, to using collections to read and write values and formulas.
This list is far from exhaustive, see all the blog posts for 4D v17 R6!
When it comes to major product releases, 4D pays close attention to the color of the logo for each one. Since 4D v18, one of 4D’s most revolutionary releases is just around the corner, we’ve decided to reveal the story behind the choices made not only for the logo color but also for modifications to the shape of the icons! Here’s everything you need to know about 4D v18’s logo color, as told by creative designer: Julien Banon.
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy