4D and Microsoft 365 access
In the 4D v18 R6, 4D introduced OAuth 2.0 authentication to access emails through IMAP, SMTP, or POP3 transporters. Starting with 4D v19 R3, 4D continues to implement OAuth 2.0 protocol and provides a way to request easily by programming a token from the Microsoft identity platform to connect to the API for Microsoft 365.
4D v19 R3 Beta Starts Today
We’re pleased to announce the launch of beta testing for 4D v19 R3! One of the richest feature releases we have shipped so far!
Without further ado, let’s take a look and see what this feature release has in store for you:
- Your business logic will love 4D’s new Computed Attributes in ORDA, Classes, iOS, and Android.
- 4D for iOS with features allowing to interact with native Apple apps and build even more advanced UI’s.
- As for 4D for Android, we’re giving you a way to test your Android app on a real device before releasing it to users.
- 4D Write Pro is shipped with an image setting dialog, the possibility to have different numbers of columns on the same page with continuous section breaks, and additional options to manage formula visibility.
- Out-of-the-box security boost with the support of the bcrypt algorithm for passwords. What’s best, there’s nothing to change in the code. Everything is automatic.
- More news for dark mode enthusiasts. After giving end-users a choice between dark and light mode for the appearance of their applications, it is now the turn of developers to choose between these modes during development on macOS.
- And more (see below)!
Apply naming conventions with Form macros
by guest author Michael Höhne, 4D developer (Munich, Germany)
There’s a feature in 4D v18 R5 that may have been overlooked, or at least hasn’t gotten much attention so far: Form macros. To be honest, I hadn’t spent much time on them either, until recently. In this blog post, I’ll show you a macro that saves a lot of time when applying naming conventions to list box columns, column headers, and footers. You can easily change it to fit your needs. A dedicated repo is also available on Github.
Push notification with data synchronisation
As of 4D v18 R4, you can send notifications to your application users. Now with 4D v18 R6, you can start data synchronization with a push notification.
This could be useful, for example, in the case of delivery tracking applications. First, the delivery information is updated in the database, then a notification is sent to the customer. The notification contains a request to synchronize the data, so when the customer consults the record on their smartphone, the data is up to date.
More features in the 4D Write Pro interface widget
The 4D Write Pro toolbar and sidebar continue to grow with more functionalities to help you create documents even faster and easier.
With 4D v18 R6, you can :
- increment or decrement text
- copy/paste the ruler
- change the background color of a paragraph
- change the style of a word (uppercase, lowercase, etc.)
More enhancements to the 4D debugger!
4D v18 R6 comes with new features in the code editor to make things easier for you when writing code.
The same goes for the debugger. We know debugging an application can be difficult, that’s why we never stop working to help make your experience better. This time, we’ve added some options and additional information that will make it easier to trace and analyze your code.
Keep reading to see what’s in store for you:
4D for iOS: Energize your apps
4D for iOS already lets you take advantage of your database relations to create dynamic and complex apps.
But many of our 4D for iOS developers have asked for more, and once again 4D listened! 4D v18 R6 includes splendid features for relation interactions.
Let’s delve into the details!
Scalable sessions for advanced web applications
Nowadays, web applications are essential modern tools. As machines and processors become more and more powerful, your web applications must constantly meet performance requirements. This is why with 4D v18 R6, the 4D Web Server offers a new kind of web session: the scalable Web session.
Let’s find out more!
Manage IMAP flags
To allow your solution to smoothly integrate with other email clients, you often need to add information such as “already seen” or “urgent”. The IMAP protocol allows you to associate a list of flags with a message to manage this additional information. 4D v18 R6 includes a set of functions for the IMAP Transporter object to add or remove IMAP flags.
4D for iOS: Sign and read barcodes from your app
Actions using parameters have been available since 4D v17 R5, and we’re constantly working to make your apps more and more interactive with enhanced mobile experiences. In 4D v18 R6, new parameter formats are available: Signature and Barcode!
Got a question, suggestion or just want to get in touch with the 4D bloggers? Drop us a line!
* Your privacy is very important to us. Please click here to view our Policy